Request A Consultation

Compassionate Immigration Services

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

You’re engaged and in love, but your fiancé(e) lives in another country. What can you do? K-1 fiancé(e) visas are a popular option for engaged couples because they are typically the fastest way to get a foreign fiancé(e) into the U.S. We understand that being far away a loved one is difficult and emotional. That is where an experienced lawyer can help walk you through the process.

K-1 visas also offers a way for your foreign fiancé(e) to bring their children. If your foreign fiancé(e) has children under 21 years of age, they may be eligible to also come to the U.S. There are K-2 visas that can allow them to move to the U.S. with their parent if they want. This is a multi-step process and can be complex, so a skilled immigration lawyer can assist you.

To be eligible for a fiancé(e) visa, there are a few important requirements you and your partner must meet to be able to successfully apply.

  • You are a U.S. citizen;
  • You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry one another within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s admission to the U.S. on a K-1 nonimmigrant visa;
  • You and your fiancé(e) are both legally free to marry (this means you both are legally able to marry in the U.S. and any previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment); and
  • You and your fiancé(e) met each other in person at least once within the 2-year period before you file your petition. You may request a waiver of this in-person meeting requirement if you can show that meeting in person would:
    • Violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or
    • Result in extreme hardship to you, the U.S. citizen petitioner.

    You Deserve Strong & Compassionate Advocacy

    Contact Us Today

    Lake Oswego Office

    5200 SW Meadows Road, #150, Lake Oswego, OR 97035

    Maps & Directions

    Mailing Address Only

    16300 SW Langer Drive #1586 Sherwood, OR 97140

    Skip to content